(listen as you read...click below)
So...I am watching the SAG Awards. Why do we watch movies? Why do we "escape" our every day lives and watch a movie? Do we watch to laugh, do we watch to cry, do we watch to scream, do we watch to relate? Why do we watch movies?!! I would like to say we watch movies to "escape" from our every day, busy, hectic, lives. We have our normal routine.... why not sit and watch a comedy? A drama? A romance? A horror film?
As I am sitting on my couch watching THE most famous actors and actresses in the business I cannot help but to stop and think that they are merely actors! They are acting out the lives that we live. They are making themselves become a character who loves, a character who kills, a character who scares, a character that dies, and many times a character that actually exists or one time did exist. They have become the masquerade of our lives.
We live, we scare, we make others cry, we cheat, we love, we act. WE ACT. These famous "actors" are merely acting. We watch them. Many times we want to become them....but yet, we are, many times we are what we are watching. Don't get me wrong... there are the movies where we actually do escape with the films that are animated or even the ones that make us laugh because we think... "that would never be us..." but many movies that are created are movies that are based on the human being.
Why is the human masquerade something that is enjoyed acted out by others or better yet, acted and watched by US? We hide, we put up our masks (don't get me wrong...I am 1000% guilty)....Maybe, just maybe it is because we can't be our own hero. Maybe we need a hero. Maybe we need to escape and see what will happen in another's perspective. Maybe we need to be inspired. Maybe we are just longing for a hero. We are weak. I can admit it. I want to be a hero, however, I need help. I need the chance. Maybe, just maybe by watching movies, watching fantasies, watching "true stories" we can aspire to be something greater.
Have you ever thought that our roles might be hard for others to play? Some lives that are lived and characters that are created are difficult to play or act.
I am challenging you, I am challenging myself that MY character will be a role that will not be difficult to play. Maybe the hero that I need to be is the one that I am fighting. Maybe the hero I need to be is one that no one else can be. Maybe my hero can be myself. Just maybe my thoughts, my desires, and dreams will make me a hero. I need a hero. I need to be MY hero. I do not need to be YOUR hero. I do not need to be anyone's hero except... my own.
My Repurpose for Today : "To remember the only hero that will fulfill my longing is....myself."
A book by it's cover? Isn't that how we choose a book when we are picking it off of a bookshelf?
Whatever....people always say "don't judge a book by it's cover," basically....referring to us. WHATEVER. If you have actually overcome that ..... congrats to you.
I would sadly say....we are judgmental. We judge the way people look, we judge the way people dress, we even judge the way people eat. Judge a "book"by it's cover? How dare us!?
Let me start off saying...I am guilty. I have judged and I do judge. But.....with that said....I promise you, the moment I begin speaking or judging, my brain stops me and begins to think about what that person might actually be going through. I have no idea. I have no idea what THEIR story is all about.
I am a book. YOU are a book. YOU and I are writing our own story. As I went through grade school, middle school, high school, and college, I was taught to write an introduction, a body, and then your conclusion. I am 30 years old and honestly, I think I can now begin to write my introduction. This might seem crazy to many of you. I have a story of the past. I have a GREAT story of the past. I have the best childhood memories, I have regrets in areas in which I can learn A LOT, and... I have many memories that need to be written down, but......I have another story.
It is still January. I made a goal to myself to be happy. I made a goal to myself to think about my family.
I AM WRITING MY OWN BOOK. I AM WRITING MY OWN STORY.
My past is my past....which I am truly grateful for....however, my future is my future....which I can change and become whatever I want it to become! I cannot change my past. I can learn from it, but cannot change it. My new story begins now! Even tho the new year is going very fast... very, very fast, I am still in control of my story. I am still in control of my life. I am still in control of MY STORY.
If you are scared, if you are timid, or you are tired, you can, I can, live my (your) life. I was reminded today that we have one life to live. This might seem like something that is said over and over again, but have you actually thought about it? Have you thought about the last 5 years of your life? Are you proud? If yes....GREAT! Continue on the path of greatness! Continue making your story amazing! If not....think. What will the cover of your book look like? What is your introduction? What is your body? How will your conclusion end? Although we may not know our conclusion... we never know what life will bring us, but maybe, just maybe, you can say, you gave it your all. Maybe (again, I do not know what will happen), maybe you can say "I did everything to make me happy. I did everything to make this world a better place."
My Repurpose for Today : "Remember that my book cover is, right now, blank. I will remember, I am not boring, I am NOT finished, my cover IS blank, my cover IS developing, and my cover...will be GREAT."
It's January 2nd people!!! So....hopefully most of you are still sticking to the "new you...." The number 2 is a great number. Think about all of the things that get second chances...and or... come in second place :
I would absolutely take a silver metal
The Vice President is second in command and has a pretty big job
A second date is pretty important...you at least were interested enough to give them another try
The second time you got on your bike from a fall
A second birth from your second child...you obviously were able to give childbirth a second shot
A second chance at a food that you used to hate and now love because you tried it again
Salutatorian is a pretty big accomplishment
A "W" even has the chance to become and "M"
Remember the phrase..."first is the worst, second is the best?"
The number two is a great number. There are so many things that come from doing something all over again or coming in second place.
Here is a picture of the kids giving wrapping paper a 2nd chance by making up a game where they would hide, then jump out of the paper! How simple, but how fun!?
As my weekend approaches and work will again start back up....I am reminding myself to remember second chances are so worth it. I am reminding myself that second chances are all in MY control. If you read all of the second chances or second places listed above....they are all done by people who never gave up. If the ambition or continual goals were quit....well..there would be no second anything. So...heres to being second! Let's keep January 2nd just as important as January 1st. Let's keep the goals we made yesterday last so that we remember that we kept them up on the second....the cool thing is....second chances can come on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th...just don't give up.
My Repurpose for Today : to remember how many things much like wrapping paper can be fun by giving it a second chance.
Today is the first day of the year 2015. This blog is called, "The Repurposed Mom," this is the year to get a "repurpose."
I could not help but to think about the life changes I have had in the last decade. You have read many of them. Now as I am in a new decade of my life and a new calendar year, I am making resolutions. Every year I seem to make the same resolutions...but...like many... either forget about them or never do them. Instead of making resolutions I am making a list of things. I am making a list of things that I want to be remembered for. Now....the things I want to be remembered for are not things that I am very good at. If today was my last day how would the world, my friends, and family portray me? Thinking about how I would want to be remembered, they are all things that I strive to be... but again...not very good at...so here we go!
10. Learn how to say "no." Let me say that I do not want to be remembered for saying no to everything. MY ENTIRE LIFE I have been afraid I was going to hurt someone's feelings if I were to say "no." I have always been afraid for a job if I were to say "no." I have always thought someone else could not do it how I would want it done if I were to say "no." I am praying for help. I must say "no." I need to say that word so my kids know that they are before anything. I need to say that word for my own health. I need to remind myself and "know" that "no" is a good thing.
9. I want to be positive. Sadly, the world we live in thrives on gossip and everyone else's business. I remember the day I found out I was pregnant (before I was married), my parent's received emails, phone calls, voicemails, and so much more from people who they didn't even keep in contact with anymore. There were many that cared. There were many who wanted to see if "the rumors were true." Why? Why do we get a rush out of gossip and people's misery? I want to spread positivity.
8. I want to give. Granted...being two teachers our pockets are not very full. I tell Justin all the time that if we had lots of money, I want to give back to others. Maybe I cannot give with money (as much as I would love to), but maybe I can give with time. I don't mean time with things we do all of the time but other things....help feeding at a homeless shelter, taking the kids to a humane society to help...I don't know, but I need to give to others. I am blessed.
7. Learn to accept things I cannot change. I think this one explains itself. I know I have so many things that will happen in my life that I will be disappointed....they have already happened. However, it will probably do me a lot better if I accepted them in a different way. This doesn't mean that I approve of what is happening, but does mean that the way that I handle it can make a difference in my life.
6. Be proud of my body. Yes...I said it. I am a very insecure person. I always have been. I have done things to myself to make myself "feel better," but in the long run hurt it. I have compared myself to so many other models or even my friends. I am finally starting to understand that feeling better starts with yourself not the way others see you. Confidence is something I lack at but strongly want...I will have confidence.
5. Know and remind myself that my kids and husband are not the same person I am. I am a bit of a perfectionist and like things a certain way. I love sports. I love pretty things. I love music. I love performing. I love love things neat. I know that they do not all share the same things I do...and that is okay. Hey...we would be a boring family if we were all the same. I need to understand that the expectations that I have of them are great...but their expectations of themselves might matter more and might help me put into perspective my expectations.
4. Laugh at my faults. I get so upset sometimes when I do not meet expectations of others (weird I just said that of my family). I need to understand that I am who I am and no one else can do what I can do whether it is great or a little messed up. I have a lot of moments where I say the completely wrong word, have no idea what people are talking about, or make myself look like a complete idiot. Thats okay, because that is who I am and if the people that love me thinks its funny than I need to too.
3. Remember my kids are growing up. I would do ANYTHING for my two kids. They make me breathe. It saddens be beyond anything to seem them grow. It saddens me when they begin to learn about "the everyday life." It breaks my heart when they are hurt, when they experience pain or hardships. I want them to be little forever. They are becoming AMAZING people. I am learning from THEM. They, not knowing it, are teaching me life lessons and I need to accept and I need to let their little wings soar.
2. Be happy. Yes...I am happy. I am happy that I married the man of my dreams. I am happy that I have two healthy children. I am happy for my family who raised me. But....do I come across as a happy person? When something bad, sad, or even unexpected happens, whether it is as little as something as a situation at work or everyday life....maybe I don't really handle it in the best way. Yes....when it is something devastating...I have every right to be unhappy...but when it is something that is an everyday occurrence, maybe my happiness depends on how I react...or....how long I stay in that situation.
1. Think about me. Again, please don't take this wrong. I (as you have already read) think about what so many other people think....maybe this is the year that I think about what I need. I want to be with my kids more. I want to be able to come home without stress and make a meal for my family. I want to not be in a bad mood as soon as I get in the car from a stressful day at work. How can I make me happy? This one might take a little more thinking but I am going to make it a goal.
Well...I have been honest. Not that you need to hear all of my goals, but I decided I really need to write my "resolutions" or "goals" or how I want to be remembered out in the open. Happy New Year to everyone and I pray you have the best 2015.
My Repurpose for Today : To have a "repurpose" in the year 2015.
I am an everyday mom who likes everyday things. I love taking everyday items and giving them a repurpose. Our number one seller is our candles!